Thursday, February 18, 2010

What's Your Justin Bieber?

My daughter sent me this youtube link - you have to watch it first (click on it) and then come back to read this.

3 Year old crying over Justin Bieber

Was that hilarious or what? I'll admit part of me was thinking OK, enough already - this child is too upset!! But I kept watching anyway :) If you stopped watching before the phone rings, you need to go finish it! It's the funniest part.

In seminars I talk about the importance of developing emotional maturity. That only comes from really getting in touch with the way you think. We all watch that little girl and realize how silly it is that she would even think that she loves Justin Bieber. But in her mind it's real. She'll continue to grown and learn and she won't be having that same emotional tantrum as she gets older. Of course as adults we don't have temper tantrums anymore........... or do we????

Adult tantrums tend to manifest themselves in other ways besides screaming and crying (although that does happen!) They show up in actions like sarcasm, the silent treatment, eye rolling, huffing, slamming doors, etc. etc. I'm sure you would never do any of these! I, however, have been know to slam the occasional door. When I do any of these it reminds me that I haven't learned another way to cope.

The plan in life is that we will mature in our thinking and our emotional responses. But we still all have those occasional Justin Biebers - things that seems so real in our minds until we take time to learn and maybe think differently. So......... what's your Justin Bieber?

No comments:

Post a Comment